Rev. Dr. Joel Mitchell, Pastor
11024 S. Bell Avenue
Chicago, IL 60643
MORGAN PARK AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCH
ADVANCE March 2021 Rev. Dr. Joel Mitchell, Pastor
11024 S Bell Ave - Chicago IL 60643 P) 773-445-9443 E) MorganParkChurch@Yahoo.Com www.MorganParkBaptistChurch.org
A Message from Pastor Joel: Greetings Morgan Park Baptist Church Family! It is with great pleasure that I share with you that the Advance is back! I have heard from our members that the Advance has served as a powerful resource to help keep our membership connected and informed about what's going on in and around our community. Going forward there will be some slight changes to Advance, for instance the newsletter will now delivered on a monthly basis. We are excited that we are moving closer to the day that everyone will be able to resume our normal Sunday rituals of worship and the fellowship hour after service. However, we understand that we are not out of the woods yet so we encourage everyone to continue practicing our safety guidelines which include "Wear Your Masks, Wash Your Hands and Watch Your Distance". In addition, we have learned that there are multiple locations and opportunities for Chicago residents to start getting the vaccine. I encourage you to reach out to your health care provider or visit the following website to learn where you can receive the vaccine in your neighborhood https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/vaccination-location Morgan Park, Rev. Naomi and I would like to again share our gratitude for your warm reception of our family. We have been with MPBC for close to six months, three as the Interim Pastor and three as the Pastor. We are extremely excited to be a part of this powerful ministry and we can't wait to meet all of you in person. In the meantime if you have any questions or would like to connect with me individually please feel free to contact me at (773) 220-9337 or email me at email@example.com.
Peace and Blessings, Pastor Joel
During this past year, we have endured some extraordinary events that have challenged our most cherished rituals and traditions at church and home. Even with these challenges, we persevered. We learned how to gather and communicate in new ways and we welcomed Rev. Dr. Joel Mitchell to pastor our church.
Worship service is now open to limited in person attendance and Pastor Joel continues to live stream on Facebook. He holds a virtual bible study every Wednesday at 7PM via Zoom, Facebook Live and Phone In. We have faith that Rev. Joel will forward our goal to remain a Christian presence in this urban community. Please be sure to visit our website www.MorganParkBaptistChurch.org and our Facebook page for more Connections.
During March, we celebrated Women’s History Month So, it seems fitting that Rev. Naomi Mitchell will take over the pulpit on Palm Sunday, March 28. Her sermon is: "Sisters Seeking Wholeness: Thirsty" Readings: John 4:1-18 - Sermon Text Isaiah 55:1-9 - Old Testament Scripture
A Women You Should Know…. Lucy Diggs Slowe Lucy Diggs Slowe was a catalyst for change, influencing a large cross-section of American society with several trailblazing accomplishments. She was an educator and an athlete; winning the American Tennis Association’s first tournament in 1917, becoming the first African American woman to win a major sports title. During this time, her career as an educator skyrocketed, and in 1919 she was asked to create the first black junior high school. In 1922, she was selected as the first African-American woman to be named Dean of Women at Howard University. She was also one of the original sixteen founders of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the first sorority founded by African-American women.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & EVENTS:
· IN PERSON WORSHIP: EVERY SUNDAY @ 11AM WE ARE ADHERING TO THE CDC GUIDELINES FOR SAFE GATHERINGS BY SOCIAL DISTANCING, SANITIZING, WEARING MASKS AND PUTTING COFFEE FELLOWSHIP ON HOLD.
· WORSHIP ONLINE WITH MPBC: EVERY SUNDAY @ 11AM VIA FACEBOOK LIVE OR CALL & LISTEN IN VIA PHONE +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) Meeting ID: 981 6156 4733# Passcode: 566807#
· WEDNESDAY BIBLE STUDY: THREE WAYS TO PARTICIPATE… FACEBOOK LIVE ZOOM - MEETING ID: 981 6156 4733 PASSCODE:B6Gz2l CALL & LISTEN IN +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) Meeting ID: 981 6156 4733# Passcode: 566807#
· DID YOU KNOW THAT YOU CAN NOW SUPPORT MPBC ONLINE? CLICK THE DONATIONS BUTTON TO GIVE AND FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, YOU CAN GIVE ONCE OR CHOOSE REOCCUR.
· PRAYER JOYS AND CONCERNS: PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY JOYS OR CONCERNS SO THEY MAY BE LIFTED UP IN PRAYER AT OUR NEXT SERVICE. CONTACT BRUCE STARK AT 773-233-2713
· AMERICAN BAPTIST WOMEN’S MINISTRIES (ABWM) IS HOSTING THEIR FIRST WOMEN AND GIRLS’ VIRTUAL WEEKEND ON JUNE 11-12, 2021. CONTACT DEBBIE TAYLOR FOR DETAILS c) 773-983-3339 e) firstname.lastname@example.org
NEXT MONTH: APRIL 4, WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE CELEBRATION OF EASTER AND WE WILL REFLECT ON MARTIN LUTHER KING JR ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF HIS DEATH